little messy missy

little messy missy

Monday, August 13, 2007

Coffee

Coffee


As the sun rises I hear its mouth open wide
The rooster crows repeatedly
And the wind picks up water and spreads it across the green
My hollyhocks tip down toward the earth waiting for water and shine
The daisies stiffly bend with the wind that is now just a pushy breeze
I slip on my sons shoes and walk without my eyes into the deep yard
Avoiding the black and white striped beetles hissing at my toes
I make my way to the coop
I fill my hands with small scratchy seeds and toss them to the hungry birds
I thank them for the eggs and move towards his earth
The rows he has made stretch long and narrow and touch the other end
The red fruit hangs heavy ready to be plucked and put between two slices of bread
Beans smooth and skinny wait to be cooked with crisp bacon
Onion heads popping just the tops of their heads out of the ground
Begging to be chopped and thrown into hot salsa
Peppers red and green punctuate the picture
And the purple eggplant matched the sky last night
I bend down and whisper something to the broccoli
And then while straightening up the breeze tosses a scent my way
My coffee is done

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails